Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

You know, I say I'm not a sci-fi fan but then I loved the Hunger Games trilogy and enjoy me some sci-fi films so, when I found a website that listed the "must reads before you see the movie" Ender's game (as well as Divergent and the City of Bones) were on the list.  I remember dating Bob in the 1990s and he raved about this book but of course, back then, being the "English Major" that I was, I was too good for sci-fi...God I was such a righteous ass back then.  Anyway: the premise:

Ender Wiggin is a brilliant 6-year old...the youngest (a "third) in a family of geniuses. Future Earth, has survived two attacks by an alien race called Buggers.  It is well-known, however, that a third invasion is coming and the results of this one will either be complete triumph or total defeat. The government is scrambling to make sure this never happens by training the next set of star fleet commanders from childhood.  Based on Ender's accomplishments and his keen mind, he is chosen for Battle School.  Here he learns military strategy and how to be a leader.  The cost, however, is the loss of his childhood, seclusion and loneliness.  The question:  Is Ender the one?  Can he be the savior for all humankind?  And what's real and what is the Game?

I LOVED this book...and again...sci-fi has apparently never been my thing.  I know I may be a 43-year old woman (God, am I really that old?  I still feel like I'm 25!  Except for the aches and pains in my hips sometimes and the fact that I can't sit Indian-style for very long anymore) but there's nothing quite like the complete escape from a world that doesn't seem possible.  Even if you think sci-fi isn't your thing, try this book out...I guarantee you will like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment