Master of the Delta by Thomas H. Cook

My latest read is from an author I've never read...although from the number of best selling novels he's written, I'm surprised I've never come across him until now. 

The premise of Master of the Delta: Jack Branch grew up in the Plantation section of a small Mississippi town. In 1954, he returns to his hometown at 24, to teach high school literature at his alma mater.  While conducting a class on evil throughout history, Jack discovers that one of his students is the son of the "Coed Killer" a notorious and local killer whose crime occurred a dozen years back. Jack feels drawn to this boy and feels compelled to mentor and encourage Eddie's discovery and truth of his fathers crime.  Jacks decision to do this ends up having deadly consequences and more than one persons truth is revealed.

This was quite a page-turner.  I have to say, I didn't know what to expect while reading and was forever on the edge of my seat.  Cook has a way of writing that gives amazing detail and life to his descriptions of nature, the south and his characters.  I really, really liked this book and look forward to reading another by Thomas H. Cook.  Read it - you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment