Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs

From the author that wrote The Friday Night Knitting Club comes Comfort Food.  I think I should preface and say that anything with 3.5 and up stars is worth a read.  Don't let my review deter you. (More on this below).

So the preface: Augusta "Gus" Simpson is a successful cook with a history of successful cooking shows on a national cooking channel.  Just before she turns 50, the network decides it wants to boost ratings by pairing her up with a beautiful, young (will do whatever she has to do to get ahead) Brazilian.  Gus, feeling a bit competitive, decides that she will do what she has to do to keep her status and show in the limelight.  With all that going on, Gus is also dealing with her two daughters and what she believes to be their "lacking" lives.  She's also trying to re-start her love life (she's been a widow for about 15 years). All in all the circumstances Gus is dealing with could prove to be a possible rejuvenation of her career or its downfall.

So like I said, don't let the lack of stars to deter you from reading...I liked the book...it was enjoyable and an easy, breezy read.  I just get irritated sometimes about characters (like Gus) who get too wrapped up in the ridiculous.  Like her interference with her daughters...it's ridiculous and a bit unrealistic. And that doesn't mean Gus wasn't a likable character...she was but I felt like some of the events in the book were added unnecessarily...maybe to make it longer?  I don't know...still a good "summer" read.

No comments:

Post a Comment