A Week In Winter by Maeve Binchy

My latest read is Maeve Binchy’s last novel A Week In Winter. Sadly, Maeve died a short time after completing the novel. I must say – I have ALWAYS loved reading Maeve and I am sad to know that I will never get to read a new novel of hers again.
 
So the storyline: Chicky Starr has recently returned to Ireland after many years of living in the U.S. She had left her home to follow the man she loved but when he left her, she was left with nothing.  Now, she has returned so she can finally build a life worth living.  The life she builds revolves around Stone House – a place near her home of Stoneybridge - and turning it into a hotel of sorts where travelers who love nature and beautiful views can come and relax.  She recruits many people in her plans and together, they prepare for the opening of her retreat on the cliffs of western Ireland.  During her opening week – the reader is introduced to several characters: John – a well-known movie star who thinks no one knows who he is; two married doctors seeking solace after their careers have left them heart-broken; Winnie and Lillian, two mismatched ladies taking a holiday together and a few more guests to add to the mix. 
 
Maeve Binchy has become a beloved novelist in her use of characters and the way she ties these people from such different walks of life together.  Once again, she has managed to entrance and enthrall.  I loved this book.  I tried to read it slowly so as to savor but alas, I was finished with it too quickly.  Read for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment