Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani

My mom told me about this author long ago but I knew it was a series so I've never read her until now because I had to wait until the first was available at Half Price.  My lucky day came the last time I went shopping there. 

Big Stone Gap centers on the main character - Ave Maria Mulligan.  She is the self-proclaimed "town spinster" - although she is only 36. Her life has recently taken a turn because her beloved mother passed away after a long illness and so she is now reexamining her path.   And then on a fateful day in 1978 (yes it takes place then), she discovers that her mother kept a secret about her that would change things forever. Before she knows what's happening, the town is abuzz about her business, men are asking to marry her left and right and greedy relatives are claiming a stake in her inheritance. All of this is slightly too much for Ave and so she starts carving her way through the muck in a not so graceful way. 

Big Stone Gap is full of hilarious and lovable characters.  It's one of those novels you will read when you want to feel good.  It has it's moments of sappiness but who can't do with a little sappiness now and then.  A great and easy read...highly recommended...and the 2nd in the series that I will be hunting down is called Big Cherry Holler.

No comments:

Post a Comment