Girls In White Dresses by Jennifer Close

This is my latest book on CD. I usually pick what looks to be easy, chick-lit, somewhat mindless “reads” to listen in my car. This one was no exception and that isn't an insult (nothing wrong with mindless reads especially when they make you laugh out loud).

So the premise: Girls in White Dresses focuses on three friends, Isabella, Mary and Lauren – 20-somethings, making their way in NYC. Isabella is working in a dead-end job she hates, dating a pot-head; Mary is struggling her way through law school and dating a nice guy with an awful mother; Lauren is stuck waitressing and getting sucked into a “going nowhere” relationship with a sleazy bartender. The one constant in their lives seem to be each other and alcohol. The three are sick of brides and bridal showers and being bridesmaids and yet wish they didn't have to spend time in the dating pool. I REALLY liked this book. (4 stars only because of its lack of “depth”). Partly, I’m sure, because the woman reading was hilarious. She gave the characters such great voices but of course, that couldn't have happened without great writing. This book made me laugh out loud many times and I the characters were real and likable. I’d definitely read/listen to Jennifer Close again.

No comments:

Post a Comment